[ANSTHRLD] possible name submission

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 15 22:16:42 PDT 2001

Anna McToma'ir

First of all Gaelic is a thistle patch that you can
really get tangled in.  Let's look at the construction
problems with this name and how they might be fixed.
Anna is English and wouldn't have been used in Scotland
till the very end of period.  This is still registerable though.  The
McToma'ir is the bigger problem.  The research and submitter indicate it was
an early form of Thomson.  So we have a possible 500 year time gap in
the names, mixing Gaelic and English names, and the
last name is not constructed properly for anglicized
Gaelic surnames.  In Gaelic mac Toma'ir means son
of Thomas, literally.  So add incorrect gender
construction as well.

Anne is found in Black, Surnames of Scotland,
from 1529 under Yut page 830; and 1586 under Whitelock page 812.
http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2251+0  From this St
Gabriel report
and OCorrain & Maguire page 19 header A'ine it looks like Anna was
introduced into Scotland after period.

St Gabriels gives a close form in Gaelic of A'ne.
[1] Donnchadh O/ Corra/in & Mavis Cournane, "The Annals of Ulster" (WWW:
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts: a project of University College, Cork,
Ireland, 1997), entry U1171.6 mentions <Ane, ingen Mic Duinn Sleibhe,
righan Oirghiall>. http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G100001/
A'ne 1171

http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G100002/
Annals of Tigernach T995.5
Fail Tomair & claidim Carlusa do breith do Mael Sechnaill mac Domnaill ar
eicin o Gallaib Atha Cliath.
This dates the form Tomair to 995.  Woulfe, Irish
Names and Surnames, page 411 header mac Tomais gives mac Tomair without
dates.

With this information we can propose a Gaelic name,
A'ne ingen Toma'ir.  We can also propose a Scots name,
Anna McThomas or Anna McThomson.

If the submitter wants more documentation I can
search some more.

Magnus von Lubeck