[ANSTHRLD] Iain MacWhelan

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:22:05 PDT 2001

I tried but oh well.  Hopefully none of the name
authenticity gestapo are watching.  Step into the alley
and let me show you the goods.

Iain is an SCA compatible name and registerable if
you cite this ruling.

October 1999 LoAR - Acceptances, Ansteorra
"Gavin MacIain. Name. Arval Benicoeur’s article, "Concerning the Names Iain,
Ian, and Eoin" mentions the name Eithne ingen Iain i nOchtur Aird in a 12th
century Irish Gaelic document. There are other references to Iain (as a
genitive form), but they were part of religious names. Nevertheless given
the single citation, combined with the fact that Iain is otherwise SCA
compatible, we will registered names containing mac Iain or inghean Iain."

I don't find MacWhelan in Scotland.  Woulfe, Irish Names and Surnames, page
521 under Faoláin has O Whealane from the time of Elizabeth I.  From this we
can construct the anglicized form MacWhealane which is from mac Faoláin
meaning son of Wolf.

As I read the Laurel ruling and the Problem Names
article Iain is considered Gaelic.
It would go with Iain mac Faoláin meaning John, son of Wolf, and
registerable with one wierdness.  I am not sure
Iain can be used with the English form MacWhealane.
If you try Iain MacWhealane you have one wierdness for
SCA compatible name Iain and second wierdness for combining Gaelic and
English name form.
Return for two wierdnesses.

Ian MacWhealane would provide a way around this.

This is a classic case of a non historical name
that is SCA registerable.

Magnus von Lubeck