[ANSTHRLD] Female Italian Name

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 24 13:46:15 PDT 2001

Ron Knight wrote:

snipped

> Stefania di Cosimo
>
> This looks clear of conflict and should be registerable.
>
> As to meaning.....well, in period many names did not have a specific
> meaning.  Of course this varied from culture to culture and
> time period to time period.

During 9-12th centuries in southern Italy there is evidence that female
babies were given names like Serene (serene), Angelica (angelic), Bella
(beautiful), Eufimia (auspicious), Benefacta (good deed) so the girls
would grow up with the qualities of the name they bore.  If this lasted
into the client's period, I don't know.

The father of Benvenuto Cellini was so happy to have a son, he said that
the child was 'welcome' and named him Benvenuto.

> If I were to "create" a meaning, I'd say that Stefania being the
> feminine for Steven (strength) and Cosimo (heavens, stars)
> would be a close approximation.  But this again has no historical basis.

As to the whole name phrase having a meaning - how can an unborn child
have control of who her father was?

Another way of constructing her name could be Stefania Cosimi.

snipped
--
Andrea / Maridonna

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the
sun every year.