[ANSTHRLD] Consultations

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:21:41 PDT 2001

Consulting for spring is usually planned at
Coronation 2002 at the earliest. Usually
consulting at events is planned quarterly.

I think you should be concerned about
the kingdom calendar for April.
Then we can plan consulting.

5-7 Guardian of The Gauntlet - Coastal Region (Jones Country)  You can't
have it then.
12-14 Hero of the Temple - Tempio (Temple, TX)
19-21 Bordermarch Baronial - Bordermarch (Beaumont, TX)
You can't have this one either.
26-28 A Day in the Market – Ravensfort –
If you have it here, then I can say no right now.

This brings up a wider issue, that I have had
very little interest in people learning and
running heraldic consultations, even on
the local scale.  A few groups have been doing
local consulting, Mooneschadowe and Raven's Fort
come to mind.  Local consultations are best done
outside of the local event (people are too busy
then to handle them).  Fighter practices
and guild meetings are good places to start.
I will be happy to provide locals with information
on how to run local consultations.

Northern regional has been the only one who has
ran consulting for the groups and they were
quite successful.  Other regionals have been
unable or unwilling to do it.  As Borek's missive
pointed out, it is on the wish list of duties.
It is not an absolute requirement of the office
nor can it be.  If any regionals wish to receive
information on how to do this let me know so I
can get it together.  You do not have to accept
submissions.  You can run a question and answer
consultation in an afternoon at an event between
lunch and feast.  It is a very relaxed atmosphere.
Armory is the easiest to handle.
If you get a question you can't answer, then get
an email contact for the client and ask ANST heralds.

It is an easy way to educate the populace, get
to know new SCA members, and get answers to
questions you hadn't thought of to ask.

The main groups that need to be reached are the
ones without heralds.  Baronies have heralds with at
least some experience.  Cantons can often rely
on those heralds if they don't have one.  Shires
are a real problem.  If they have no herald and are
distant from other groups nothing gets done unless
someone comes in from outside.  This part of kingdom
law needs to be changed to require a herald for a
shire but we do the best we can until that happens.

This summer I am also looking for one or more
deputies for the Armillary office.  The duties
of this office include:
-to instruct local and regionals how to hold consultations
-to hold full service submissions tables at the
2 Coronations each year and prepare those submissions
for Asterisk.
-to hold 2 additional full service submissions tables
in various regions as need and demand direct and
prepare those submissions for forwarding to Asterisk
for processing.

To expect any more from my eventual successor
is not being realistic.

The office is often a kingdom-at-large version of
the local submissions herald.

Consider these items and let me know

Magnus von Lubeck
Armillary herald