[ANSTHRLD] nonregisterable cultures

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:03:31 PDT 2001

>This is very interesting. Are there any other cultures/countries that we
>have ruled nonregisterable on this basis?

Other than sub-Sahara Africa civilization like
the empire of Zimbabwe, the Inuit, and a few Siberian
peoples I can't think of any culture that hasn't been
encountered (or trampled) by European nations between
Roman times and 1600.  The Inuit had contact,
a few times violent, with the Greenland Norse.
New World civilizations had contact with the Norse,
the Spanish, and other explorers.  The New World
wanderings of the Norse are much neglected in the
SCA vikings as are the Norse voyages to Russia.

The culture of Zimbabwe wasn't know to 20th
century Europeans, much less medieval ones,
until South African apartheid was trashed.
There are some trade contacts with Moslem
Timbukto and that empire.  I remember some
references to the Mountains of the Moon in
some medieval maps but never could find much.
It is listed as the source of the Nile. In
reality they are the volcanoes around Rwanda
and Uganda.

The aborigines of Australia would be excluded
from SCA cultures contacted in period.  Some
cultures such as Pharonic Egypt are banned
because the medieval folks couldn't read
hieroglphic writings.  No one read them until
about 200 years ago.  I would think much of
sub Sahara Africa and some regions of India
might be included.  Polynesian culture might
be depending on their contact with the Pacific
Spanish trade routes Acupulco to Phillipines.
I know Drake in Antarctica gave us the penguin.

I would also add classical civilizations lost
to the medieval Europeans like Minoan Empire.
Romans, Gauls, Goths, Huns, Picts, and such
are fine.

As for Tibet, I think we can make Talan's precedent
go bye bye.  The late Mongol empire had folks
who converted to Buddism and used Tibetan names
from the monks that were living amoung them.
I will see to it that An Tir gets this information.

Was that really more than you wanted to know
about obscure SCA anthropology?

Magnus