[ANSTHRLD] nonregisterable cultures

Chandranath chandra at plumes.org
Thu Jun 7 12:03:59 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:03:31PM -0000, doug bell wrote:
> I would think much of sub Sahara Africa and some regions of India
> might be included.

A subject near and dear to my heart, for obvious reasons.

India was pretty much united (as united as it gets, anyway) under the Mughals
by the last quarter of the 16th century.  Portugal had been sending trade
ships (and Jesuits, I might add) since around 1500, and England's first
direct contact, the HMS Tiger, landed in Hindustan in 1583 with letter of
greeting from Queen Elizabeth to the Mughal Emperor Akbar.

In short: well-established direct western Europe contact, trade, and
communication in period, if not exactly early.

Chandra

--
Shri Chandranath, Cadet to Don Timothy, Pursuivant Extraordinaire
Northern Regional Virtual Scribe