[ANSTHRLD] Re: married names for women

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:29:53 PDT 2001

>Out of curiosity and for future reference.....how would you change a
>female's name to make them married....or am I correct in thinking that
>women
>really did not change their names to match their husband's all that often?

It varies with culture and century to century but
usually married women didn't change their name.
I don't remember seeing it in France.
In Russian you use the husband's name with zhena but
I would have to look up the exact endings.  However
Russians considered women to be the property of the
husband. Byzantine women were also named for
their husbands.  I don't recall any others but
you can find them if you look.  You will also run
into cases where the woman is know by both her
name and as the "wife of" husbands name but these
are often legal cases.

And these two are not necessarily brother and sister.
They could be two people from Long Coeur.

>stupid question coming up.............what is a mamluk?

Considering how extremely rare Saracen devices
are in the SCA it is hardly a stupid question.
Sure as you don't ask it, you will get an Arabic
persona wanting to submit an items like this.

Some of the Islamic heraldry items are explained at
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/saracen-heraldry.html

The penbox and saddle are in the pic dic but I don't
know where you can find a picture of the polo sticks.

Magnus