[ANSTHRLD] Mamluk soldiers?

Peer2 Peer2 at email.msn.com
Tue Jun 26 13:48:34 PDT 2001

Started after the Crusades and into the Ottoman expansion, the Mamluks were
usually Christian converts, taken from their families when they were between
4-7 years old and fostered by trainers in and around the royal court. They
were some of the Sultan's/Caliph's most fanatical warriors, both to their
ruler and to Islam. Typically, they would be recruited from areas the Turks
had been having trouble with or were about to campaign against. Though some
families willingly handed their children over to prevent their persecution
and/or because of the really high standard of living the Mamluks enjoyed,
rivaled only by the nobles themselves.

PBS did a really outstanding thing on them a few months ago. Otherwise, I'd
be completely ignorant. >:]

-- Cedric Einarsson
-- (Insert Favorite Expletive Here)