ANSTHRLD - Question

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Mar 12 09:03:26 PST 2001

Cyniric / "Richard Culver" <rbculver at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Maybe "Gules, on a plate a cross gammadion saltirewise sable."?
> >Works well on a round shield.
>
>   That was unappreciated, but I think you were being funny.

(?  If you didn't appreciate the comment, why think it funny?)
I guess you mean "I don't get it, but I suppose from context you
were making a joke"?  Yeah, I was just being mischevious and
misleading.

A depiction can be seen at
    http://fotw.vexillum.com/flags/de193345.html
"Flags of the World" looks like a marvelously useful research site.

The legend goes that someone submitted that blazon circa 1970, all the
heralds sat around and nodded and said "nice and simple", but one
person looked up "cross gammadion", sketched the coat, and held it up
for the meeting, saying "Uh, guys?".  The legend says that on the spot
the College of Arms decided to require each submission to have an
emblazon (picture).

For folx who don't care to fire up the Web browser: a "cross gammadion
saltirewise" is also known as a "fylfot" ... or "hakenkreuz" ... or
"swastika" ...

Hey, you asked for primitive and Teutonic.

Daniel "well, you got brutal and 'Aryan', to be precise" de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)