ANSTHRLD - Kimball Ross and Anneliese Ross - Doc and Check needed

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Tue Mar 20 13:08:22 PST 2001

Borek / "Brent Ryder" <bryder at compucom.com> wrote:

(By the way, could you please set your lines to wrap at 72 characters
or so?)

> Kimball Ross - "Azure a cross Nowy throughout the center voided of
> four lozenges, Or"
>
> I am not sure if he is using the term 'nowy' correctly and I have
> not had time to check my Pic Dic. The basics of it is to take a
> latin cross throughout, place a lozenge on the cross centered on the
> cross point and then void the lozenge of four lozenges one, two, and
> one.

Blazon fu:

The only words capitalized in a standard SCA blazon are
- the first word
- "(Fieldless)"
- proper nouns, like "a Bowen knot" or "a Norse sun cross"
- the tincture "Or"

"Nowy" for a cross means that the center is a disk.  "Nowy quadrate"
means it's a square.  "Nowy lozengy" is in Parker, but even Parker
says that his source gives no examples.
    ( http://www04.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ta2/saitou/ie401/Jpglossc.htm#Cross )
However, there's a 12/93 reg.:
    Annora Steward|9312K|d|Azure, a cross nowy of a lozenge, pierced
    of a lozenge, and on a chief Or three lozenges azure.
It was registered without comment.  So I assume it's registerable
today (though it would be a kindness to mention that on the LoI).

Plain crosses (as opposed to a cross potent, bottony, crosslet,
fleury, ...) are throughout by default.

There is no default arrangement for four objects -- it has to be
blazoned.

"Voided" means that the charge has another identical but smaller one
put on; by prec. 11/97 (Asa of the Wood) Laurel did not allow voiding
of anything other than a simple geometric charge or the charge itself.
Normally the SCA doesn't use "pierced", preferring to blazon the
charge as a tertiary.  However, the only decent way to express that
it's the *center* of the cross that's got charges-on-charges (as
opposed to the four arms of the cross) is "pierced".

Hence:
    Azure, a cross nowy of a lozenge pierced of four lozenges in
    cross Or.
A lot of crosses and lozenges there.

Period style advisory: I don't recall any period armory like it.  But
if a period coat did one weird thing, everything else tended to be
bog-simple and common, and that's the case here.  It's certainly not
an SCA cliche.  So as for period style: I just dunno.  *shrug*

Daniel "feeling cross now-y, so I'll suck on a lozenge" de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)