Court Reporting (was Re: ANSTHRLD - Plenary Meeting at Red Ta pe)

Nordsteorra northern_herald at ansteorra.org
Tue Mar 20 18:15:37 PST 2001

Greetings, all.

Two problems Chandra noted were:

- Transcription errors -- possible, but I'm surprised if that's the case

Don't be surprised...especially with regard to baronial service orders. I
remember
when the Order of the Heart of the Sable Storm (OHSS) was recorded as the
Order
of the Shark's Tooth (OST--Atlantian fighting order).

And all the more reason for heralds to be vigilante...your job is not done
until it makes it into the OP.

I do prefer the court herald be responsible; however, keep in mind, some
events
have multiple heralds which can also confuse the matter. Ultimately, the
responsibility
should go back to the BRANCH herald...and that is not necessarily the court
herald. Perhaps sanctions are the only way to make the system better...but
are we
unfairly punishing a group for one officer.

- Someone else's reported data was used, in which case, harm was done

Definitely a possibility...but you can usually resolve several reports for a
given
event. And the herald is supposed to put THEIR name on the report if
questions
arise later.

>My undocumented example aside, the fact is easily documented that
>all sorts of preposterous stuff has made it into the OP -- not absences,
>I stress, but things that are simply wrong.

"Simply wrong" I can see...but I'm not sure I understand "preposterous".
Could you
illustrate.

Of course, if you are speaking of Don Timothy, remember the columns for
White Scarf and
Centurion are next to each other on the form. With only one report, and a
minor slip
by the court herald, Don Timothy is Centurion Timothy...and unless the
person making
entry into the OP database knows better it won't be caught. This would seem
a good case
for more than one reporting herald.

>All group heralds should do their utmost to correct the contents of the
>OP as pertains to their group.  No argument here.  But it would be nice
>to think that the system didn't include playing "telephone" with the
>awards given out.  There ought to be a better way.

"Telephone"??

I would certainly support any improvements in the reporting system...but
I am at a loss as to what that would be.

As an aside, this discussion started more on the note of "why should I fill
out
a report if I'm not the court herald?" Remember, the historical role of the
herald
included among other things identification and registration of arms,
overseeing court
functions, liaison and diplomatic work, and recording the happenings of an
event.
You used to do it all...we didn't always have the luxury of specialization.

Regards,
Tadhg, Nordsteorra