Court Reporting (was Re: ANSTHRLD - Plenary Meeting at Red Ta pe)

Ray Smith rayasmith at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 20:11:11 PST 2001

--- Nordsteorra <northern_herald at ansteorra.org> wrote:
> Ultimately, the responsibility
> should go back to the BRANCH herald...and that is
> not necessarily the court
> herald. Perhaps sanctions are the only way to make
> the system better...but
> are we
> unfairly punishing a group for one officer.

Sanctions may be necessary, but, I feel, only as a
last resort after a continued pattern of not
reporting.  Sometimes Stuff Happens that is entirely
beyond the branch herald's control.  Case in point.
At last year's Bryn Gwlad Fall Baronial (I am branch
herald for BG, btw), I came down with a migraine
mid-afternoon and had to leave, well before court.  I
had seen three other heralds at site during the day,
in addition to the Court Herald, so I thought I had it
covered.  As I was later to find out, two of the other
heralds also came down sick and had to leave before
court, and the third herald was a somewhat frantic
Head Server.  Luckily, she (if I remember correctly)
conscripted someone to take court report for her for
the records - luckily for everyone involved, or there
would have been no record of any of the awards handed
out that night.  In a situation like that, I feel that
sanctioning a group for not filing a court report
-may- be a bit unjustified.

Andre de Chartres, Halberd Pursiuvant of Bryn Gwlad

=====
"Everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world."