[Heralds] German/Norse name for Destiny

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Fri May 4 06:53:01 PDT 2001

>>'Asa' also means 'goddess'

>I am not being a bastard but it also mean
>" of the Gods" in this context much like
>the byname for Thor "Asa-Thor".

Hmm.  I think there is a difference -- in the woman's name I think you're
seeing a grammatical feminine construction, while in Ása-Þórr you're seeing
a gramatical possessive (genitive case) of the masculine Áss.  The meanings
are very close, and the derivation of either is a matter of "how many angels
dancing on the head of the philological pin"  -- names in Ás- or Ós-, are
thought to be from *ansu and related to Old Icelandic áss or óss, "a god."

::GUNNORA::