[ANSTHRLD] RE: [Heralds] Submissions Index

Griffin ap Rhys lord_housemythos at hotmail.com
Sun May 20 17:56:02 PDT 2001

>Hmm. I took a look at the Asterisk/Bordure submissions index on the web >at
>http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/hst/Submission.html and I don't see my
> >device re-submission nor the name change I have in.

     I am very sorry, milady.  I have looked through my files and can find
neither of these things there.  I am very sorry about this, it has been all
I could do since taking over this office to get things back on an even keel.

>Can someone summarize in brief the path through which heraldic >submissions
>now flow, and what documents are produced at the various >steps?  I'd like
>to start being a part of the commenting process.

     We would be glad to have you commenting.  Essentially, a submission is
recieved by a local herald, by one of our consulting tables, or from a
herald-at-large (called Pursuivants Extraordinary).  These submissions are
sent to me with the necessary fees and correct number of copies.  I gather
them into an INTERNAL LETTER OF INTENT (ILoI).  Any submission received by
the 15th of the month will go into the next month's LoI.  I write the May
ILoI with all submissions received as of April 15th and ideally it is
published in the May Gazette distributed around the first part of May.
     There follows a month and a half or so of commentary, which is collated
together the 20th of the month following the ILoI (the deadline for
commentary on the May ILoI will be June 20th).  This commentary is published
as the INTERNAL COLLATED COMMENTARY (ICC).  The following month a Kingdom
Decision Meeting is held to determine which names or devices will be sent to
Laurel.  The Decision Meeting for the May ILoI will be held at the
Ansteorran Heraldic Symposium in July.  The results of this meeting is
published as the ANNOTATED INTERNAL COLLATED COMMENTARY (AICC).  Essentially
the annotation is simply what exactly the Kingdom decided to do with the
submission (forward it, forward it with changes, or return it for more
work).
     The Bordure Herald uses the ILoI and the AICC to write the EXTERNAL
LETTER OF INTENT, generally called the LETTER OF INTENT (LoI).  He mails
this to the College of Arms (CoA), the Society-wide equivalent to the
Kingdom's College of Heralds the same month as the Decision Meeting.  After
four months of commentary, a Society level Decision Meeting is held to
determine the fate of the submissions.  The result is published by the
Laurel Sovereign of Arms as the LETTER OF ACCEPTANCES AND RETURNS (LoAR).
     So here is the chain of events.

Submission to Asterisk
Published in May ILoI (must have been received by April 15th)
Commentary until June 20.
ICC published.
Kingdom Decision Meeting held in July.  AICC published.
July LoI written.
Society wide commentary, then Decision Meeting.
November LoAR published (4 months of commentary).
Submitter notified.

>About a zillion years ago I used to get a "newsletter" containing >heraldic
>submissions, which everyone then checked for conflicts and >various
>problems and commented on -- this was an excellent learning >process for a
>new herald, and I'd like to start doing this again.

Again, we would be very glad to have you, if you dont want to kill me for
the problems with your submission.  Hopefully, we will start getting it
published soon.  Real soon, if all goes well.

>::GUNNORA::
>
>Who knows something about Norse names, but would like to know more in
>general about heraldry as well.

In service,
Lord Griffin ap Rhys
Asterisk Herald
Kingdom of Ansteorra

"The griffin is the king of all the creatures.  Whilst the lion is the king
of the beasts and the eagle is the king of the birds, the griffin that bears
a combination of the best attributes of both these magnificent creatures,
like a good claret, is better than the sum of its constituent parts."
---Stephen Oliver, An Introduction to Heraldry