[ANSTHRLD] comments and suggestions

Andrea Hicks maridonna at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 13 16:42:30 PST 2001

Lady Simone ui'Dunlaingh wrote:

> Amanda age 10 chose the name Arianna ui Dunlaingh  liking Arianna and
> wanting to use the sur name myself and my mom use
>
> Erin age 8 wants to know if it's ok to use Erin ui Dunlaingh
>
> both of them are eager for comments or suggestion. I will gladly forward
> those to them if you would like.

Hello Lady Simone,

I hope they had fun.  Only in the SCA can a person 'dress up' at least
once a month.  I love it!

Erin is the Gaelic name for Ireland and wasn't used by a human during
the SCA period.  Two suggestions for a feminine given name are <Eo'rann>
wife of king Suibne, and <Ernine, Erne'ne> before 1200 and <Ei'rnin>
after 1200. The name was the name of male and female saints.  The
female's name was <Ernine> (OC&M).  Hopefully someone can help with the
Gaelic pronunciation. The < ' > is an accent on the previous letter.

Arianna, as far as I can tell is an Italian name from the Greek name
Aridane, which was Latinized Ariadne and Ariadna (De Felice).  An
Italian given name and an Irish Gaelic by-name are not compatible; see
April 2000 LoAR, Adriana Kavanaugh.

I think the by-name should be "inghean Ui" Dunlaingh.  Is Dunlaingh the
lenited form of Dúnlang?  Someone will correct me; I'm not too good with
Gaelic names.

If these little folks aren't concerned about CoA registerability at this
time, they can be called any name they want.  <smile>

YIS,

--
Andrea / Maridonna

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the
only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless,
unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes
needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
						FDR, 1933