[ANSTHRLD] comments and suggestions

Lady Simone ui'Dunlaingh lady_simone at code-works.com
Wed Nov 14 08:05:21 PST 2001

> I hope they had fun.  Only in the SCA can a person 'dress up' at least
> once a month.  I love it!

They had fun and can't wait to go again

> Erin is the Gaelic name for Ireland and wasn't used by a human during
> the SCA period.  Two suggestions for a feminine given name are <Eo'rann>
> wife of king Suibne, and <Ernine, Erne'ne> before 1200 and <Ei'rnin>
> after 1200. The name was the name of male and female saints.  The
> female's name was <Ernine> (OC&M).  Hopefully someone can help with the
> Gaelic pronunciation. The < ' > is an accent on the previous letter.

I think I can get her to go with Ernine   I will ask her latter today when
she gets home from school

> Arianna, as far as I can tell is an Italian name from the Greek name
> Aridane, which was Latinized Ariadne and Ariadna (De Felice).  An
> Italian given name and an Irish Gaelic by-name are not compatible; see
> April 2000 LoAR, Adriana Kavanaugh.

I'm sure I can get Amanda to think about her name some more out of the two
girls she's the one that dicided at the event she needed slippers because
her tennis shoes "were not period" I about fell out of my chair when she
falowed that up with "Isn't that right auntie Simone. I do want to be a
proper ladie" at that point I figured she was one of us in a little package
and was convinced when she asked for help with a proper name

> I think the by-name should be "inghean Ui" Dunlaingh.  Is Dunlaingh the
> lenited form of Dúnlang?  Someone will correct me; I'm not too good with
> Gaelic names.

I'm not sure i've been spelling it that way for years.  i could be wrong.

> If these little folks aren't concerned about CoA registerability at this
> time, they can be called any name they want.  <smile>

Thanks
Simone