[ANSTHRLD] questions from TRF

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Nov 20 18:02:26 PST 2001

> > Ordinaries of flames have not been registerable since
> > 1994. This would include the bend, saltire, fess, and,
> > especially, the cross.
>
> this seems to be the precedent I was thinking of. It is not the same I as was
> remembering though.

How about disallowing fimbriation of flames?

   [returning two boar spears in saltire surmounted by another palewise
   argent enflamed sable]  The "enflaming" here is not, but is rather "a
   sheaf of three spears-shaped flame" charged with a sheaf of three
   spears.  This is much too complex for a flame to be.  It's
   identifiability suffers sufficiently that it becomes next to
   impossible to identify it as a flame.  (Picture it without the spears
   on it; they tend to give it better definition.)  The flames here act
   only as a very complex fimbriation, which has been previously
   disallowed.  (Red Spears, Barony of, 5/95 p. 14)

This one seems to be more appropriate to the current situation.

> (fieldless) on a sun eclipsed, an eagle displayed reguardant Or

You're right about the blazoning.  You should use the tinctures in the
clearest blazon you can.  Also, something displayed, which is affronty,
cannot be regardant.  I assume you want the head facing sinsiter instead
of dexter.

(Fieldless) On a sun Or eclipsed sable an eagle displayed head to sinister Or.

Problem.  A sun eclipsed is a roundel on a sun.  So you're going over the
layer limit.

  [On a sun Or eclipsed sable, an anchor Or] The badge has two problems,
  either of which is sufficient for return. The first is the use of
  quaternary charges, or charges entirely on tertiaries. A sun eclipsed
  is considered equivalent to a sun charged with a roundel; the two are
  interchangeable blazons, and yield the same emblazon. The anchor atop
  the roundel is therefore a quaternary charge, forbidden per Rule
  VIII.1.c.ii [also returned for conflict] (Angus Sinclair, August,
  1993, pg. 15)

Sorry.

- Teceangl
--
 When you are told something that doesn't make sense -- challenge it!
				      - Shayk Da'ud ibn Auda