[ANSTHRLD] Bonwicke Order Comments

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Thu Sep 6 15:55:51 PDT 2001

Borek, Star, wrote in part:
>The Order of the Keepers of the Cross of Bonwicke.
>
>The proposed device, if I am blazoning this right, is:
>[Fieldless] A Latinate cross patonce sable, overall Bonwicke
>
>There is a black cross patonce with the bottom arm longer than the rest,
>over the intersection is the device of Bonwicke, 'Per pale gules and Or,
>a pale indented counterchanged, overall a laurel wreath vert.'
>
>There is also what looks like an inverted indented crown on the bottom
>arm gules. I have asked the herald of Bonwicke what this is to be sure.
>It may be artistic license, not sure.

I apologize for the long copy of previous material but wanted to
include the material I was commenting on.

The following are presented as arguments or possible problems.  They
are in fact questions open to the list for commentary.  Please
correct me if I am wrong, just be nice.

Last item first.  If it is a Crown at the bottom of the cross, then I
would presume that it is in violation of the use of a restricted
charge unless all members of the order are personally allowed the use
of crowns.  As only a Prince, Princess, King, or Queen can have a
crown (or a kingdom or principality), I am hoping it is in fact a
coronet or simply some gold fru-fru at the base of the badge like
mantling (sp?).  If a coronet, as a baronial order, the coronet
should only be in a style that a baron(ess) could use.

Which raises the next question.  If only a baron(ess) can use a
baronial coronet on their arms (or a barony), then can an order badge
include a restricted item for members of the order that members may
not be personally entitled to use?  Unless all members of the order
were of baronial rank, I don't think the use of a coronet can be
registered to the order even though it is a baronial order.  Use of
the badge implies (actually by definition it states outright) a right
on the bearer to all components in the badge.

If a duke had a ducal coronet on his arms and through a heraldic will
passed those arms to his son, the ducal coronet cannot be passed and
must be removed as the son is not entitled to it.  Those are the
rules today as I understand them.  Please elaborate if I am wrong.

Lastly, I think use of the arms of Bonwicke carries the same concern.
In essence, the cross carries an escutcheon of pretense to Bonwicke.
Any holder of that badge would in effect be claiming, through the
order, the right to the fiefdom of Bonwicke.  This is the period form
that a lesser ranked husband would use to display his higher ranked
wife's arms on his own.

In concept, I think the idea is neat.  However, certain usages in it,
I think, cross certain pretense lines that I know are not intended.
I have met the Baron of Bonwicke and, though it has been awhile since
we got to chat, we got along well.  When this group has discussed
what I have posted, if I appear to be correct, please also convey to
Their Excellencies that I would be honored to consult with them about
this submission directly (or at least via email) and derive a
registerable device for the order from Their desires and wishes.

Sincerely,
Seigneur Etienne de St. Amaranth