[ANSTHRLD] Order of the Keepers of the Cross of Bonwicke - Baronial Service Award

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Mon Sep 10 23:10:11 PDT 2001

In re Magnus's suggestion: a roundel is no longer defined as a medium
of heraldic display for the purposes of the "appearance of arms of
pretense or augmentation" rule.  (Still there for the fieldless badge
rules, so you can't get away with "[Fieldless] A roundel gules" being
considered different from "Gules".).

Where was I?  Right.  Since it's not the appearance of use of
armory on a roundel (or other shape that's not a shield or canton),
you don't have to conflict-check that part of the design, just the
whole.  So the cross could have a roundel overall.

Well, except for the precedent that a fieldless badge can't have an
overall charge where much of the underlying charge is obscured -- the
area of intersection has to be small.  I have my doubts in this case.

Instead, you could do a cross nowy, which has a circular center, or
cross nowy quadrate, where the center has expanded into a square.

I can think of no period or modern examples of use of such a motif (a
charged nowing), but that per se is probably registerable.  The pale
would extend to the ends of the cross, which would look weird and
possibly be somewhat unblazonable.  It could be drawn as a billet [==
rectangle] indented on its sides?  Further from period practice --
"difficulty in blazon is a sign of non-period style".  It's probably
still registerable, but I'd really recommend against it.

Perhaps an allusion instead -- a multicolored cross?  Perhaps a cross
couped indented?

Daniel de Lincolia
    tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work account.
up to and including this sig!" -- Jukka.Korpela at hut.fi (Jukka Korpela)