[ANSTHRLD] question

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Sun Apr 14 21:34:15 PDT 2002

There are no registrations of "Zelda" so current files won't help.

I have seen the Z used much more in Germanic and Eastern European names than
in Romance languages.

One of the Saint Gabriel articles, 15th-Century German Women's Names by Brian
Scott (Talan Gwynek) at

http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/german15f.html

lists 1 instance of Gy{sz}el which seems to be cognate with "Giselle" rather
that "Grizelda."  I have seen "Griselda" or "Grizelda" described as an Old
German name, and it does look like it, but I don't trust that source.

You might consider asking the Academy of Saint Gabriel when "Zelda" and
"Gris/zelda" were used.  Just tell them you are curious about the names, and
want to know the historical period.  They research names; they'll tell you
what they can find.  It may take a while, but you've been working on this
quite a while yourself, right?  They were very helpful and cheerful about
telling me about forming nicknames for Swiss-German names (even though not
much is known about Swiss-German nicknames during the Middle Ages).

Kathri