[ANSTHRLD] complete change of field??

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Aug 9 06:59:29 PDT 2002

> > Per pall is specifically NOT in the list of field
> > divisions which are clear
> > of one another in X.4.a. and since there is a
> > sharing of field tincture, the
> > two cannot get complete change of field under X.4.a.
> > or X.4.b.
>
> Even though the tincture is in a different location?

Right.  "sharing a field tincture" just means it's present, where at
doesn't matter.

> > Try X.4.c. where you get a CD for change of field
> > division and another for
> > changing 2/3rds of the field tincture.  As X.4.
> > says, "Two pieces of armory
> > will not be considered to conflict if two clear
> > visual differences exist
> > between them."
>
> The two are clearly visually different (If I saw both
> on the field, I wouldn't worry about attacking the

It's not always about visual clearance.  You an I see "Azure, three
mullets Or" and "Gules, three spur rowels Or" as visually very clear.
A period herald would take one look and say, "They're brothers."  It's
both about look and appearance, and appearance isn't always visual.
Suggested reading: "The Philosophical Basis of Difference, or What are
Little CD's Made of" by Dom Pedro de Alcazar on the Laurel education
page at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/what.html

> wrong one), but do they get the 2 cd's? Or can there
> be no other field primary armory that is per pall
> inverted with one of the slots being black? (Because
> that seems ridiculous to me.)

Yes, they do.
CD #1: the field division has been changed.  X.4.c.
CD #2: more than half the field tincture has been changed.  This is
kind of an extension of X.4.d., really.
See what it says in the example in X.4.c. again.  "There are two clear
differences between Per chevron argent and azure and Per pale nebuly argent
and azure ."

That's because there's a CD for changing the field division and a second
CD for changing the type of the line of partition.  I'm confident that
the two CDs I counted above will stand.

Remember that the ONLY time you can get more than one CD for changes
to the field is in field-primary armory.

And a final piece of advice.  Never take anyone's opinion of what the
RfS say at face value.  The RfS are readily available, so go doublecheck
that the rule being cited says what the poster says it does and that
they're not misintrepreting.  Yeah, doublecheck me, too.  Otherwise you
might end up in the very awkward position of defending someone else's
extremely wrong conclusion which you did't present as anything but truth.
Been there, never want to go there again.

- Teceangl
--
  Sable, seven mascles conjoined three, three and one argent.