[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Mon Aug 26 18:24:58 PDT 2002

Since I haven't done this in a while, I decided I'd take a stab at it.
Conflict checking is fun! :)

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 07:57:18PM -0500, Scott Ozment wrote:
> The blazon I'm checking is...
> "Vert, on a bend cotised argent a hand apaumy gules"
>
> The closest I could find was..
> "Vert, on a bend raguly cotised argent, three fir sprigs proper"
>
> I believe that it would only be one(1) CD for the change from sprigs to the
> hand, since they would be tertiary charges. Correct??

Correct, since you have changes for type, number, and color
(presumably), but can only have a maximum of one CD for any changes made
to a tertiary.

> Now, is there a second CD for the change from raguly to plain?
> Thanks for any help you can give...

Yes, certainly! X.4.e ("Type Changes") says specifically:
	Since the edge partition line of a charge is part of its type,
	the change from "a pale wavy" to "a pale embattled" is one
	clear difference.

You run much closer to Olaf the Maedi-Ogre, with "Vert, on a bend argent
a battle-axe gules", but you still get one CD for addition of the
cotises and another for change of type only of the tertiary (since it's
on an ordinary, per that tricky X.4.j.ii).

Also consider Eoghan mac Bran{a'}in:
"Vert, on a bend argent cotised Or three ravens palewise sable."
1 CD for change of tincture of the cotises (X.4.d)
1 CD for changes to tertiaries (type, number, color) (X.4.j)

There were a few other very similar cases, but I found no conflicts.

-Emma

--
Jennifer Smith
jds at randomgang.com