[ANSTHRLD] Question on hypothetical names

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 09:54:25 PST 2002

    I am sure this is a question bound for disappointment, but what fun is
getting what you want? :) This is more personal a question anyway.

    On documenting names, to what level, if any, are theoretically
constructed names allowed in this sense:  The name I currently use is, duh,
Cyniric Cyniwarding Wulfricinga, a Northumbrian dialect of Old English,
thought the docs I have vary from the 8th to 9th centuries.  This is pretty
useless on a persona level being from the mid-late 5th.  I was wanting to
"officially" register it as *Cuniricaz *Cuniwardingaz *Wulufiricinga.  Know
I think I can find enough information to do this as a "feasible"
reconstruction.  The Leeds runestone in England has the older Cuni as a
fragment of a name.  Ricaz is cognate to Gothic -reiks, Old Norse -r, the
Latinized -ricus (which I found in H.R.Ellis-Davidson's Anglo-Saxon sword
book under the Nydam sword fittings- ca. 350 in my persona's homeland).
-Ward would have to be a reconstruction.  The -ing element I have found only
twice as a patronymic in runic inscriptions of the time, both female.
Wulufaz(-R) is a proper name spelling of Wulf/Ulfr/-olfr used up to the late
7th century in Denmark in the region of Angeln (the inscription of "afatR
hariwulafa[z/R] / haþuwulafa[z/R] haeruwulafiR"). the -inga is a common
plural genetive form and forms the clan name.

   Anyway, just and intellectual mind game,  just wanted to see what would
happen.

Rich/ Cyniric