[ANSTHRLD] Question on hypothetical names

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Fri Feb 22 23:48:36 PST 2002

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Richard Culver <rbculver at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On documenting names, to what level, if any, are theoretically
> constructed names allowed in this sense: The name I currently use
> is, duh, Cyniric Cyniwarding Wulfricinga ... I was wanting to
> "officially" register it as *Cuniricaz *Cuniwardingaz
> *Wulufiricinga.

I had one once, but the wheels fell off.

There's nothing special about reasoning about a name.  It's just
plausible interpolation and extrapolation based on the data, with more
leeway given in languages for which we don't have good sources.

I suggest you go to S. Gabriel.  Several of them would love a meaty
question like this, I'd bet.  They won't address registerability per
se, except to say that they won't address registerability, but if they
come up with plausible forms, it should usually be OK.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;
if that fail, my work address is tmcd at us.ibm.com.