[ANSTHRLD] Rising Star

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Tue Jan 22 06:39:32 PST 2002

>I heard that our award, "The Rising Star of Ansteorra"
>is to be aboandoned. That after 12 years it has been
>registared.  And now the "Rising Star" part
>seems to be causing problems as to it's period useaage.

Just because we can't register the name doesn't mean that the kingdom has to
abandon the award, for starters.  It just means that if we want to register
the name, we have to come up with a better name.

Instead of just being outraged about it, folks can help by starting research
into what kinds of period name constructions are actually out there for
awards and orders, and based on that research maybe we can find a more
acceptable name (heraldically) for the award.  Or not - we don't *have* to
register it.

The exact problem of what was wrong with the name was published in the
Gazette (see http://www.ansteorra.org/regnum/herald/gazette/200201AG.pdf).
It said:

"Ansteorra, Kingdom of. Award name Award of the Rising Star.  This name is
being returned for lack of documentation of the construction of the order
name. No documentation was provided, and the College found none, that an
abstract description such as _Rising_ was used to modify a noun such as
_Star_ in period order names.  Barring such documentation, this name must be
returned.  Note: had such documentation been found, this name would have
[been] registerable as _Award of the Rising Star *of Ansteorra*_, since
Ansteorra has a letter of permission to conflict from the owner of the
household name House Rising Star, and group references (which are normally
transparent for conflict purposes) can clear a conflict in conjunction with
a letter of permission to conflict."

So really, it's not even certain that the name may not be registerable as
is -- we just have to get out the books and start digging.

::GUNNORA::