[ANSTHRLD] Please help with this device

Haines, Paul PHA at allseas.com
Tue Jul 23 13:49:56 PDT 2002

Dejavu - I originally helped this submitter at Gate's Edge's Midsummer Fair.

Quarterly vert and argent in pale a barrel proper and two barley stalks in
saltire Or.

I'd be a little concerned about the gold barley on the white quarter, but it
should be ok as the quartered field of a metal and a color is considered
neutral.  As for the black band on the barrel, that's just an artistic
license I think.  A barrel proper would be brown (wood), but the metal
banding isn't a major component of the design, so while it could be drawn
on, it could be just as easily colored brown too.  The major element of the
barrel is the shape - (_).  I vaguely recall a device that was "Per pale
argent and sable a lightning bolt bendwise sinister Or" and when I
questioned the gold lightning on the white side of the field I was given a
similar explanation of why it was ok.

I think you could also tincture the barley as proper (as opposed to Or) and
it'd still be a golden color, but it would simplify the blazon a bit to be:
Quarterly vert and argent in pale a barrel and two barley stalks in saltire
proper.

In service,
Alden