[ANSTHRLD] Armory Help

Tim McDaniel tmcd at jump.net
Wed Jul 17 19:24:15 PDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Rod Jackson <culn97 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> (this, My Lady, is a bad ASCII drawing!)

Oh my lord, I'm afraid it certainly is!  There's not enough line
segments, I think (some of the chevrons would have to be awfully
short), and it doesn't work in monospaced fonts.

>    F   F   F
>
>       /\
>         \
>     / /\ \
>    / /    \
>     / /\ \
>       /        \   \
>         /        \   \
>       /            \

Perhaps you mean

    F   F   F

       /\
         \
     / /\ \
    / /    \
   / / /\ \ \
  / /    \ \ \
 / / /    \ \ \
/ / /      \ \ \

?

> Who is Parker?  A little more information on which book to check, or
> not to check, would help.

_A GLOSSARY OF TERMS USED IN HERALDRY_ by JAMES PARKER.
http://www04.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ta2/saitou/ie401/Jpframe.htm
It's the same Parker as is listed in the Admin Handbook under

    Appendix H - Name Books That Do Not Require Photocopies to Laurel

    This is a list of "standard books" that do not require photocopies
    to be sent to Laurel. ...

It's not a *name* book; I don't know why that's the header, except
that name books are usually what are referenced.

> If they are post-period, how far?  Who can say that this Lady from
> Nice wasn't the first to use them?

Or maybe she was.  The burden of proof is not on the person trying to
rebut the claim, or I can confidently assert that several purple
lemmings are dancing on top of my monitor and you can't argue against
it at all.

Parker, at
    http://www04.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ta2/saitou/ie401/Jpglossc.htm#Chevron
says
    Besides the above there are various forms of broken chevrons.
    But the terms do not appear very distinctly defined by heralds,
    and the actual examples are but few.  We find the terms fracted,
    disjoint, bruised, or debruised (fr. bris{e'}), and rompu or
    downset, the last term, to all appearance, being a barbarism
    derived from the French dauncet, which would be equivalent to
    dancetty. ...

    In the margin are given illustrations of one or two forms found in
    books, but no ancient examples have been observed. With the French
    engravers the chevron bris{e'} is generally drawn in a similar
    manner to fig. 1, though the two portions are often still further
    apart, so as not to touch at all. Rompu and failli seem to be used
    by them when the sides of the chevron are broken into one or more
    pieces.

He gives no pictoral examples.  Parker was an enthusiastic Victorian
compiler of heraldic terms.  If *he* implies it's dodgy, it's really
questionable (just like if Rouland, who is famous for thinking that
not much is presumptuous, calls something presumptuous, it pretty well
is).

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at jump.net;