[ANSTHRLD] Primary secondary etc questions

Brent.Ryder at compucom.com Brent.Ryder at compucom.com
Tue Jun 4 10:34:17 PDT 2002

> between (going to secondary)
> on (going to tertiary)

Generally speaking, yes

> throughout  -- primary or secondary? and what does the ordinary become?

'Throughout' means the charge touches the edges of the device like a cross or a mascle. It is often confused with the term 'overall' which means it lies on top of everything else.

I would suggest looking through Parkers online heraldic dictionary for better definitions:

http://www04.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ta2/saitou/ie401/index.htm

>surrounded by (going to secondary) <-- is that one IN anything? would it
>even be in a blazon?

'Environed of' or 'within' are more correct and it could be a Primary within a peripheral charge, Co-Primary, tertiaries, etc. It depends on what else it there, the relative sizes of the charges and other considerations more nebulous.

> conjoined (same level)

Depending on the size, it could be the same group or it could be small enough that it could be considered a maintained charge or large enough to be a sustained charge. Size does matter ;)

> what if you have something like "three mullets between three
> lozenges Or " would the mullets be primary and the lozenges secondary?

Depends on the size again. If the mullets and lozenges have roughly the same visual 'weight' then together they would be a single charge group. If for some reason the mullets are smaller than the lozenges, it would more than likely be returned for redraw or 'Non-Period Style' or NPS for short. The last case where the Mullets are larger than the lozenges would make the mullets a primary charge group and the lozenges a secondary charge group. Unless blazoned specifically, this last is the assumed case. Only seeing the actual emblazon would allow corrections to the blazon if necessary.

> what are some of the other keywords to look for showing a
> change from primary to secondary and so forth?

What you have above is a good start on such transitional words. Nothing else comes to mind, but I will not rule out others.

Borek