[ANSTHRLD] FW: Names, device and badge - Cinaed O' Hosey

Emma de Fetherstan jds at randomgang.com
Tue Jun 4 12:12:55 PDT 2002

Borek writes...
>> >From: FRAYMANHOSEY at aol.com
>> >To: borekvv at hotmail.com
>> >Subject: Names, device and badge
>> >Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:24:40 EDT
>> >

>> >Name: Cinaed O' Hosey
>> >Device: Sable, Buck's Head Caboshed, In chief a Crescent and a bordure
>> >Argent
>> >Badge: Gules, a cheveronell inverted, in chief a crescent and a bordure =
>Or
>
>> > (Sable, a cheveronell inverted, in chief a crescent and a bordure Argen=
>t)
>> >             In case the first badge will not pass
>> >
>> >If the above is clear and will go let me know what is to be done next
>> >                           Thanks Hosey
>
>I received the previous email this morning. I have no resources here at wor=
>k to check or document the name. I checked the device and did not find a co=
>nflict.

Cin{a'}ed is found as a given name from as late as 975 in OC&M (under the
header Cin{a'}ed).

O'Hosey is a trickier one...

Woulfe lists it as being originally {O'} hEodhasa, the name of some family of
notable bards, but only gives dates for very late period. Apparently it was
changed/corrupted/merged with the Norman surname Hussey, and for some odd
reason the family even changed their name to Oswald. (?!)

Irish names are NOT my thing. :)

>For the badge, I seem to remember that we do not register single chevronell=
>es which would make it a chevron. I did not find a conflict for the primary=
> badge choice so did not check into the backup badge.

Correct, chevronelles only come in quantities of 2 or more.

The device and both badges look clear to me, at least as long as that crescent
in the device stays a secondary and not a co-primary (and it may still be
clear, I just didn't check that).

-Emma

--
Jennifer Smith