[ANSTHRLD] April ILOI commentary

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Fri May 10 00:47:27 PDT 2002

This is commentary for this month.  If you would like anything
added or corrected in it please email it to me.  I do not read
the lists very often.

Magnus von Lubeck
Orle herald

1) Aidan MacAlpin (Steppes)
[Badge] This name was registered August 1988.

3) Baldmuotus Sigehardes (Raven's Fort)
[Name] Further research has indicated this name is actually the Latin
form of a Frankish name.  Morlet states the names are continental
Germanic in origin.  Morlet page 198 s.n. Sikahart gives Sigihardus from
824. The elements of the name are given as Sigi- and -hart and Bald- and
-modus.  Little of the Gothic language was written down and we only have
a few names from it.  Baltha- is the Gothic equivalent of Bald- and
Sigisa- is the equivalent of Sigi-.  I couldn't find the rest of the
elements in Gothic.  We can go to the Germanic and give the requested
name in a Latinized form.  Baldmuotus filius Sigihardus would be the
patronymic but the last name needs to be placed in the possessive case
for Latin.

4) Bréanainn Ross Grayem (Trelac)
[Name] The submitter's father is Ian Graym registered February 1997 (via
Atenveldt).  I couldn't find Grayem as anything other than a modern
spelling.  Ross is also a English given name.  This mixes Gaelic and
English and uses two given names with a Gaelic name (even though one is
English).  Reference "This is being returned for using double given
names in Gaelic. To date no documentation has been presented for its use
in Gaelic, and barring such documentation we cannot register such
names.(Iain Dubhghall MacGriogair, 7/98 p. 13)"  I have doubts that this
is registerable.  If we change the entire name to English then it is an
acceptable, if rare, late period form.  Recommend that this go up as
Brendan Ross Graym and give the reason for the change in the LoI.

7. Carmen Salazar (Stargate)
[Name] Juliana's article is at
www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/isabella/.  Fucilla should be page 109
for Salazar.

9) Catarina di Foscari (Shadowlands)
[Name] Catarina and Foscari are from "Fourteenth Century Venetian
Personal Names".  It is arval not arbal in the URL.  I believe you drop
the di here since the patronymic is in the form of a surname.

10) Daniel O'Céileachair (Loch Ruadh)
[Name] ÓCorráin and Maguire, Irish Names, page 70 s.n. Daniél dates the
name to 761 and 736.  Each name needs to be documented.  Woulfe, page
460 s.n. O'Céileachair concurs with MacLysaght.  Interesting that the
submitter allows NO changes with a Gaelic name.  If the accent was added
to the first name this would be a completely Gaelic name.  Here, it is a
registerable wierdness as a Gaelic and English mixture.
[Device] The secondary charge group has 3 types of charges (annulet,
shamrocks, and label equals slot machine heraldry) and the shamrocks may
be in an unblazonable position.  Unhappily, this must be returned.

11) David Michael Collanwood
The submitter is from Lindenwood.