[ANSTHRLD] Gules ermined Or

Stephen Macthomas macthomas at houston.rr.com
Thu Nov 7 05:57:23 PST 2002

Ekaterina asked ...

> >I'm trying and having very limited luck looking in the O&A, and was
> >wondering, can someone look for conflict with 'gules ermined Or'?

And Magnus explained ...
> The reason you didn't find it is that it isn't registerable.  This is a
fur
> which makes it a plain,
> undivided ticture field.  We don't register those
> except in the case of Brittany and Libya.
> It is a lovely design but sorry it won't work.

To which I add:
You may wish to consult with the submitter about a simple charge that he or
she may wish to add to the field, or perhaps a divided field with half being
the proposed 'Gules ermined Or' and the other half being, um, something
that's not 'Gules ermined Or.'  My first inclination would be to do "Per
chevron gules ermined Or and Or ermined gules." or something similar.  It's
still very simple, it maintains the desired color scheme, it's very
distinctive - not many custom furs around - and it's rather striking to look
at.  YMMV of course.

Bottom line is this - while the undivided field treatment 'Gules ermined Or'
isn't registerable, it's a registerable field in conjuction with other
heraldic elements.  Work with the client to see how you can compromise in
giving them what they want.  :)

Stephen, Solstice (who's first registered device bore a field of 'Azure
ermined Or')