[ANSTHRLD] Zelda and a Badge.

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Sep 29 21:21:23 PDT 2002

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, S L Niemann <sinistral at digigo.com> wrote:
> Conjoined means they must be touching... If you are giving and receiving,
> how about
> (Fieldless), two hands proper maintaining between them in pale a
> bezant.

The default hand is a dexter hand, so "two hands" would be two right
hands.  This is "a pair of hands" in
> http://www.geocities.com/nobodyz_prfct/images/twohands.gif

If you have multiple charges on the same level, their relative
positions must be specified.  The best I can come up with here is "in
bend", though they're not really.

As I mentioned earlier today, "maintained" is used for charges that
have significantly less visual weight than the changes holding them.
That is *not* the case here: the bezant is actually larger than either
hand.  (That's one heck of a generous donation!)  I also commented on
capitalization.

Blast!  I can't find my Pict Dict, so I can't tell if hands have a
default orientation.  The 2000 registration below implies it.  I can't
think of a way to blazon the orientation of these hands, or indeed the
whole design.

> i believe  it is clear of
> Kira Linn of Mountain Island
> The following badge associated with this name was registered in August of
> 2000 (via Atlantia):
> (Fieldless) A heart between and sustained by two hands inverted argent.

Note the capitalization and comma style here.  If you're attempting a
blazon, you generally can't go too far wrong by using the pattern of
existing registered blazons.

I logged into my ISP and dug thru the raw mail folder for several of
the trimmed messages.

] Therefore, if I want something that lets people know that Zelda is
] at an event rather than Annes, I would need to register it as a
] badge. ...
] As implied above, I would use it to mark Zelda's encampment mostly.
] I'm thinking of placing it on her "hovel". ...
] never have I seen more sustained and complete personnae play as when
] Zelda comes up to someone and attempts to beg from them.

I would think that someone in "rags" in front of a wicker hovel
holding a begging bowl would be an indication that the begger Zelda is
there rather than the lady who bears an uncanny resemblance to her
(perhaps Zelda is related via a link on the wrong side of the
flea-bitten blanket).  For realistive persona play, a beggar would not
have arms or a badge.  Alternately, you can see whether beggars in
period had identifying signs other than the stereotyped bowl, bad
clothing, whining plea for alms, et cetera.

Daniel "jeez, she's got ME doing the persona play" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.