[ANSTHRLD] Zelda and a Badge.

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Sep 29 21:49:59 PDT 2002

> Blast!  I can't find my Pict Dict, so I can't tell if hands have a
> default orientation.  The 2000 registration below implies it.  I can't
> think of a way to blazon the orientation of these hands, or indeed the
> whole design.

Appaumy is the default for hands.

Hands can be a problem.  The registration of Elonda Blue Haven's badge
in January of 2002 explains it well:

   Elonda Blue Haven. Badge. (Fieldless) A sinister hand cupped in
   profile fesswise sustaining in its palm a tree Or.

   By current precedent, "The cupped hand is neither a documented nor
   a recognizable position." (LoAR April 2000, p. 18). However, it is
   grandfathered to the submitter, who has the same sort of design in
   her registered device (reblazoned in this letter), Azure, seme of
   lightning flashes bendwise sinister Or, a sinister hand cupped in
   profile fesswise argent maintaining in its palm a flame gules
   fimbriated Or.

Now, I have no idea what Kira's badge looks like, but the hands are
not likely cupped.  I suspect hands handing off a coin might also be
an unrecognizable position.

- Teceangl
--
       Migosh, you can't sleep now!  There's HERALDRY afoot!