[ANSTHRLD] FW: [Steppes] Plea for the SCA

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Thu Apr 24 16:29:47 PDT 2003

>> I just checked the Internal Collated Commenatary page
>> (http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/ICC/) and it only has ICCs back to
>> Nov. of 1996.
>
>Okay, that changes things.  I thought we were talking about the stuff
>from the late 80's and early 90's.  Because I knew that the recent
>stuff was published and circulated, I assumed that no-one would be so
>foolish as to put that sort of commentary into print.  Since the
>commentary was described as "old", I figured that it was, well, *old*.

This brings up a good point.  Now and then I've heard folks talk about
putting the old Gazettes online.

I haven't looked at early Gazettes and know very little about them.  Were
they generally available?  And (depending upon the answer to that question)
what should be omitted from them when (if?) they go online?

I would think that letters from officers (Star, etc.) would be appropriate
to include.  Same for the ILoI and any decision results.  I guess the only
thing that may need to be edited is commentary.

And if commentary needs to be edited, when was it generally known that the
commentary would be available to submitters?  Because, my guess is that
commentary after that point should likely be left alone and commentary from
before that point would be a candidate for being edited.

Thoughts?

What may be more useful in the "what docs did they use to get that
[name/device] passed" category would be to put old LoIs online.  The
Bordure office has a mostly-complete set.  (I seem to recall that Star may
have a partial set as well.)  And I can fill in any holes using the Laurel
files.  The trick would be finding someone who has the time and equipment
to do the scanning and get them into a format that can be put on the web.

Another question: do we want to put "[none]" or "[no LoI]" or something
like that in the LoI table (at http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/LoI/) for
the months where we know there was not an LoI?  If we decide marking months
with no LoI is something that would be helpful, I can tell you that there
were no LoIs in Nov. of 1998 & Nov. of 1999.

Mari
(who won't have any free time for quite awhile yet)