[ANSTHRLD] FW: [Steppes] Plea for the SCA

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Thu Apr 24 19:27:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:29:47PM -0500, Kathleen O'Brien wrote:
> This brings up a good point.  Now and then I've heard folks talk about
> putting the old Gazettes online.
>
> I haven't looked at early Gazettes and know very little about them.  Were
> they generally available?  And (depending upon the answer to that question)
> what should be omitted from them when (if?) they go online?

The Ansteorran Gazette started publication in January of 1990.  As far
as I know, they went out to the whole college of heralds in Ansteorra,
ie one per branch, plus assorted officers and whatnot (probably
including anyone who wanted one!)

In the past the print gazette has and has not charged a subscription
price. At times warranted heralds got it for free and everyone else paid
a subscription; now that the gazette is also published electronically,
only a very small set (certain big-H heralds, Laurel, the crown) get the
print version for free.  At all times, though, as far as I'm aware
anyone could get access to the thing and read all the commentary printed
therein.

We are in the midst of a (very slow) project to scan in the old
Gazettes.  I do not, however, plan on putting them online for several
reasons, only one of which is the issue being discussed. While these early
issues may have been readily available, they were not *wildly* available
to the public-at-large, and so I can see people being unsure about the
wisdom of sticking them on the web.  Luckily, the issue is moot, since
they won't be put on the website.  Instead, they will be burned to CD
and made available that way to any who wants a copy (probably for a
nominal burning-the-CD-and-mailing fee).  Eventually.

-Emma
Obelisk

--
Jennifer Smith