[ANSTHRLD] Identify this dragon?

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at usadig.com
Tue Apr 29 12:35:30 PDT 2003

Greetings!

Joseph Percer wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>One of the members of my Shire has his device on his shield and banner
>already, from a while ago and was wondering about the possibility of
>registering his device. I was wondering what this dragon would be called in
>blazon. Here's the link:
>
>http://geocities.com/jpbluffrat/dragon.jpg
>
>In service I remain,
>
>Jayme Dominguez del Valle

Sadly, while it is GREAT scribal artwork and very well
done Celtic knotwork, it is unblazonable on it's face.

There is no way to adequately describe the beast so
that, even years later and in other Kingdoms miles
away, it could be re-drawn anywhere close to the
original artwork.

That being said, if the gentleman wants to register
a standard heraldic dragon and then have the
knotwork/Viking rune style of drawing on his
shield/banner/et al, there is nothing wrong with
this - that is what artistic license is all about!

Personally, I would feel that this is a bit 'over the top'
on artistic license, but I am in another Kingdom
(Artemisia) and generally considered a 'stick-in-the-mud'
about how far you can stretch things before they
become unrecognizable.

YMMV.

Mistress Shauna of Carrick Point
Sage Herald, Artemisia