[ANSTHRLD] Help from Court Heralds

Haines, Paul PHA at allseas.com
Tue Apr 8 12:31:51 PDT 2003

Replying as a baronial herald, I must say that it is not the decision of the
court herald to decide what gets announced or not during court.  That is the
call of the Crown or B&B.  Any business that petitioners seek to have
brought up in court must get approved by the Crown (B&B) before it is put
into the agenda.  Tell the court herald you would like to have a moment of
the Crown's (B&B's) time, and tell the herald what it is you would like to
do in court.  The herald will take your business to the Crown (B&B) and
present it for a yea or nay.  In either case, the herald should get back to
you to let you know if it will be included in the business or not.

In addition, I would not recommend using the court herald to issue your
announcement.  He/She has enough to do without keeping track of additional
business that isn't that of the Crown (B&B).  I would suggest giving the
announcement yourself, or if you are not at an event where you would like
your business brought up in court, I'd recommend employing a retainer
(personal herald) to deliver your message for you, in lieu of asking the
court herald to make it for you.  In terms of appearances, this would be
better as well.  A court herald is in service to the Crown (B&B), so why
would they be serving anyone else?  Also, someone employing their own
personal herald shows to everyone that he/she is of means and can afford the
"finer things", such as a person to carry their words for them about the
kingdom.

In lieu of an announcement made during court, I might suggest that you (or
your herald) make a few site announcements issuing your challenge.  In
particular, those places where your words would make sense (i.e. near the
list field, before or after a tournament, or during feast).

In service,
Alden

*snip*