[ANSTHRLD] RE: Grimr name submission

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Wed Aug 6 10:54:29 PDT 2003

Magnus asked:
>Has anyone seen a name submission from
>Stonebridge Keep for Grimr hogna or jodurr?
>It seems to have turned up missing.

I don't know about the submission, but I have some feedback on the names...

I'm using: <i'>=i-acute <o'>=o-acute, etc., <o,>=o-cedilla <{dh}>=edth
<{th}>=thorn <{ae}>=aesch <o/>=o-slash

<Gri'mr>
========
Found in Old Danish as <Grim> (found as a by-name), Old Swedish <Grim>
(found as a by-name), and OW.Norse <Gri'mr>. (Instances in Old Danish and
Old Swedish by-names may be derived from the OW.Norse adjective <grimmr>
"grim, cruel, atrocious".) Originally a by-name, related to Old Icelandic
<gri'ma> "mask", and may refer to a helm which masks the face, also <Gri'mr>
was one of the names of the god Odinn. This name is common in Norway and
Iceland through the whole medieval period, and is frequent in Denmark and
Sweden. The weak form <Gri'mi> is found in Denmark, and as a place-name in
both Denmark and Sweden. There are twelve instances of the name <Gri'mr> in
runic inscriptions. Fellows-Jenson reports <Gri'mr> as the basis for several
Anglo-Scandinavian place-names. A diminuitive form of Grímr is Grímsi.

Geirr Bassi Haraldsson. The Old Norse Name. Studia Marklandica I. Olney, MD:
Markland Medieval Militia. 1977.  p. 10 s.n. <Gri'mr>

Fellows-Jensen, Gillian. Scandinavian Personal Names in Lincolnshire and
Yorkshire. Copenhagen. Akademisk Forlag. 1968.  pp. 105-107 s.n. <Gri'mr>

Cleasby, Richard and Gudhbrandr Vigfusson. An Icelandic-English Dictionary.
2nd ed. Oxford: Clarendon. 1957. p. xxxiv s.v. "Pet Names"; p. 216 s.v.
<gri'ma>

Lena Peterson. Nordiskt runnamnslexikon. Spraak- och folkminnes-institutet.
http://www.dal.lu.se/runlex/index.htm  Accessed 30 May 2003. s.nn. <Gri'mR>

<Jo,{dh}urr>
============
As far as I know, this is a personal name and not a by-name.  It appears in
Geirr Bassi Haraldsson. p. 12 s.n. <Jo,{dh}urr>.

I'm of the opinion that Geirr Bassi's listing as <Jo,{dh}urr> is a typo for
the personal name <Jo,furr>, which occurs in at least nine runic
inscriptions and is found in Old Swedish as <Iuvur> and in OW.Norse as
<Jo,furr>. From the OW.Norse noun <jo,furr> (from Primitive Scandinavian
<*eburaR>), originally with a sense of "wild boar" but coming to mean
"prince" because of the boar-crested helmets such men were said to have
worn. (From Lena Peterson s.n. <Io,furr>).

In either case, it wouldn't be in use as a by-name, I don't think.  I also
don't find <jodurr>, <jo,durr>, <jo{dh}urr>, <jo,{dh}urr>, <iodurr>,
<io,durr>, <io{dh}urr>, or <io,{dh}urr> in the Cleasby-Vigfusson dictionary.
There is a word, <jo,{dh}> meaning "baby", but no related compounds that
might resemble <jodurr>.

You could get a patronymic as <Jo,{dh}ursson> or <Jo,fursson>.

<Ho,gni>
========
Again, as far as I know, this is a personal name and not a by-name.
<Ho,gni> is a Scandinavian adaptation of the Continental German name,
<Haguno>. <Ho,gni> is frequent in Iceland and in Norway, especially in the
early period. The form <Hoghni> appears in Denmark, while <Ho/gne> appears
in Sweden. Fellows-Jenson shows this name as the basis for several
Anglo-Scandinavian place-names (From Fellows-Jensen pp. 122). In modern
Icelandic, <ho,gni> is a word for "tomcat", but not in Old Norse.  <Ho,gni>
appears as a masculine personal name in Landna'mabo'k and in a lot of sagas,
including Haraldar saga ha'rfagra, So,rla {th}a'ttr e{dh}a He{dh}ins saga ok
Ho,gna, Ha'lfs saga og Ha'lfsrekka, Egils saga skallagri'mssonar, So,rla
saga sterka, Har{dh}ar saga og Ho'lmverja, Ynglinga saga, Hrana saga hrings,
Vatnsd{ae}la saga, Orms {th}a'ttr Sto'ro'lfssonar, Bjarnar saga
Hi'td{ae}lakappa, and also in the Poetic Edda in Helgakvi{dh}a Hundingsbana.
<Ho,gni> is most famous as a name, however, from the mythic cycle
surrounding the Vo,sungs and the Dragon-Slayer, and is found in Vo,lsunga
saga.

I don't find <hogna>, <ho,gna>, etc. in the Cleasby-Vigfusson dictionary.
Again, I see no evidence for it as a by-name.

The genitive form of <Ho,gni> is <Ho,gna>, and in this form it appears in a
number of kennings for "shield, such as <hur{dh} Ho,gna> "door of Ho,gni",
<hnig so'l Ho,gna> "setting sun of Ho,gni", <ve' Ho,gna> "holy place of
Ho,gni" etc.

You could also use this name in a patronymic, where it would be <Ho,gnason>.

::GUNNVOR::