[ANSTHRLD] RE: Latin for Motto

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Thu Aug 21 10:43:44 PDT 2003

Jayme Dominguez del Valle asked:
>I am hoping that there's someone out here
>who's decent with Latin... I'm working on
>a motto for our Shire, and I need the
>following translated:
>
>We keep the King's Coast/Shore

Oram Regis Custodimus

You can also make this very specifically a sea-coast by adding the adjective
"maritimam", though I think the unvarnished use of "oram" is better because
it can mean the border, the coast, the region and the people of the region.
If you want to be more specific and pin it down to "sea-coast" use:

Oram Maritimam Regis Custodimus

GLOSSARY
========
custodio, custodire (4th conjugation verb) "to guard, watch over, protect,
defend, keep in custody, keep carefully, preserve" -- custodimus (1st person
plural, present tense) "we watch"

maritimus, maritima, maritimum (adjective) "sea, of the sea" -- maritumam
(feminine accusative singular, needed in order to agree with oram)

ora, orae (1st declension feminine noun) "boundary, border, edge, coastline,
coast, region, district; figuratively the people of a region or
istrict"  -- oram (accusative singular used as direct object)

rex, regis (3rd declension masculine noun) "king" -- regis (genitive
singular) "king's"

::GUNNVOR::