[ANSTHRLD] Squires, Achievements of Arms, and Ranks (Oh My!)

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Thu Feb 27 11:13:37 PST 2003

Greetings to the list and the good Mistress Gunnvor ...

>Since, in the SCA, "squire" is not a rank nor an award, but rather a type of
>household relationship between one flavor of peers and their students,

Very true, obviously ...

>The color-coded, completely unofficial
>colored belt scheme is bad enough as is without further ramification.

I certainly concur that for most of the personas wandering about the SCA that the colored belt system means nothing more than what the SCA has come to make it mean.  But I am inclined to ask the following ...

While we have little ability to change things, what would you prefer to see rather than the belt system?

I've heard some ideas before, including no marking ... but for many there is a wish to have a visible symbol, which I can understand because rank or not, there are those who treat the rank of Squire, Apprentice or Protege as a rank.

Timothy of Glastinbury
Pot-stirrer Extraordinary