[ANSTHRLD] belts vs alternate symbols

Haines, Paul PHA at allseas.com
Fri Feb 28 11:39:06 PST 2003

Mistress Gunnvor said:
*snip*
> I *would* like to encourage people to "think outside the box" a bit and
> look
> for more medieval ways of denoting this relationship. My personal
> preference
> is to see the use of badges and livery where applicable... but other means
> are certainly possible.
*snip*

I became a protege in December, and my Pelican and I decided (after some
discussion) on a ring instead of the yellow belt.  This is mainly because
the tangable evidence of the contract is more important to me as a personal
reminder of my journey and the decisions I must make along the way, than it
is to identify me to others as being on that journey, so we both felt that
we didn't need a symbol that broadcasted my being a protege.  Instead we
found something subtle, but suitable to do the job.  And since I wear the
ring on a finger that I don't normally wear a ring, I really notice its
presence.  So, it suits. :)  When my Pelican registers a badge, I will
likely wear that as well.

Mistress Gunnvor also mentioned the articles on peerage on the Laurel
website.  I believe there's a good one about the difference between "I want
to be a peer" and "I'm going to be a peer".  A philosophy I've heard, that
I'm trying to stick to is to "be a peer"  Which means don't wait until you
are a peer to be a peer.  I think it would be a terrific compliment to be
mistaken for a peer. :)

We're getting off the theme for this list, but it's a good discussion. :)

Alden