[ANSTHRLD] belts vs alternate symbols

Haines, Paul PHA at allseas.com
Fri Feb 28 12:58:21 PST 2003

Good point.  I think there is definitely a difference in being a Peer and
beeing a member of the Patent Orders.  There's pros and cons to it, but I
think it might have been a better set up to rate a Peer above the Orders of
the Pelican/Chivalry/Laurel, and let those orders be used to identify the
pinnacle achievements of those fields, but to be a Peer takes something
more.  This would make sense with what I've found in heraldry books that
show achievements for "peers" which all have coronets of at least Baroncy
level.  Maybe the SCA got it backwards with ranking Court Baronies below
Peerage Orders?  Maybe the Court Barony should recognize that "peerage
quality" and let the Orders recognize the epitome of their respective
fields? *shrug*  Another can of worms I guess. :)

Alden