[ANSTHRLD] Who can register

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 27 13:58:12 PST 2003

"Haines, Paul" <PHA at allseas.com> wrote:
> Achievements for groups might be interesting to discuss.  There are
> many historical examples of companies that are granted arms and
> various other [parts of] achievements.

Indeed, as I mentioned.

> It would be interesting if we could register a group name and device
> like an official SCA branch, which include a petition of support.

I would not expect the SCA-wide College of Arms to support changing
the Administrative Handbook to allow that, nor would I expect any
plausible Laurel to do it.  It's not a total heresy, mind you.  It
would just buy so little advantage, because such names and armory can
already be registered perfectly well, just with an individual or SCA
branch as owner.

> Then the group could be recognized like an individual and be
> eligible for an AoA, GoA, PoA, which could change its achievement
> over time.

Only individual people are eligible for Awards of Arms, Grants of
Arms, or Patents of Arms.  Awards can be given to groups of people
regardless of whether they're an SCA branch or not -- several
households have the old principality Pillar of Ansteorra, as I
recall.  It never has conveyed any rank on the members.

> Then consider using supporters and coronets for those groups that
> are officially kingdom based, like the College of Heralds, or the
> King's College, and the like.

The way that *would* be possible (and even plausibly period) is to
petition the crown for supporters or whatever fru-fru they want
(except that the badge should be via SCA registration), adducing
evidence that, for example, they'd been stable for a year or two.  The
crown could grant the right and direct them to consult with Star for
said appropriate fru-fru.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address