[ANSTHRLD] Question about Japanese-style Heraldry

Kitty O'Neal kitty at swbell.net
Wed Jan 22 16:58:40 PST 2003

Daniel Said:
> The primary charge is blazoned first.  The fan, being in the center,
> has first dibs on primariness.  If it's a good-sized fan, it's
> "Argent, a gan gules within an annulet azure".  Only if it's a small
> fan and the annulet visually overwhelms it would it be "Argent, within
> an annulet azure a fan gules".
>
> An annulet looks like a circular open O.  I strongly suspect that the
> default fan is open, handle to base -- I think that's what the Pict
> Dict showed and said.

*nod*  Cool.  That's easy enough.

So the blazon's 'Argent, a fan gules within an annulet azure'. That's simple
heraldry, isn't it?  *completely fails to get those rules*

Alright...  So this needs to be conflict checked against fans and Escallops
inverted, right?  (Escallops are default with the hinge-side up, right?)

Tincture of the field counts for 1 CD and so does tincture of the object,
right?  So I only need to be worried about those that are on argent fields
or those that have red escallops inverted, yes?

Kat'ryna