[ANSTHRLD] Question about Japanese-style Heraldry

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jan 22 20:34:11 PST 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Kitty O'Neal <kitty at swbell.net> wrote:
> So the blazon's 'Argent, a fan gules within an annulet
> azure'. That's simple heraldry, isn't it?

There are two sets of "simple armory" rules with two entirely separate
meanings.

One use of "simple" is in RfS X.4.j.ii.  RfS X.4.i and X.4.j deal with
charges entirely on top of other charges.  That doesn't apply here.

The other use of "simple" is in X.2, and it's a lot easier to
remember.

    2. Substantially Different Charges - Simple armory does not
    conflict with other simple armory if the type of every primary
    charge is substantially changed.

    These types of changes were normally seen between complete
    strangers in blood, and were not usually used to indicate any form
    of cadency.  For purposes of this rule, simple armory is defined
    as armory that has no more than two types of charge directly on
    the field and has no overall charges.

The fan is primary here, so anything simple that *substantially*
changes just the type of the fan (e.g., Argent, a lion gules within an
annulet azure) would be clear.

> Alright...  So this needs to be conflict checked against fans and
> escallops inverted, right?  (Escallops are default with the
> hinge-side up, right?)

They are.  That's a good catch.  If you want to be completist about
it, check the escallops inverted, but I would expect only a visual
call to be a problem there: X.5, which says that even if the other
rules say that they're clear, if there's an *overwhelming*
resemblance, there's a conflict.  In other words, I would expect only
"Azure, an escallop inverted gules within an annulet azure" to be the
only possible problem with escallops inverted.

> Tincture of the field counts for 1 CD and so does tincture of the
> object, right?  So I only need to be worried about those that are on
> argent fields or those that have red escallops inverted, yes?

What I'd do: check argent fields first, because they're easiest to
see.  Check them in detail.  Everything else has at least one CD, so
I'd scan the rest for an annulet (as being something easy to scan
for): if no annulet, then there's the second CD.  If an annulet, look
in more detail.  I think that's equivalent to your statement.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.