[ANSTHRLD] Since I have seen it...

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jan 28 10:59:48 PST 2003

"roses maintained natural" makes no sense in English blazon
that I've ever seen.  The SCA (and some in the real world)
use "maintained" to mean "held", as in a hand, paw, mouth, or whatnot.
"Natural" in heraldry is an adjective to mean "not the heraldic kind":
a sea-horse is half a land-type horse with a big fish tail, but a
natural sea-horse is the thing you can buy at an aquarium store;
a tyger is a wolf-like thing with a sort of beaked nose, but
a natural tiger is a cat-like thing you can see at a zoo.
But like all but the standard heraldic adjectives, "natural" follows
the standard rules of English grammar and precedes its noun.
The SCA does not use the phrase "natural rose" for anything;
as I explain in my previous note (of a few minutes ago), a natural-
looking rose we call a "garden rose".

So "roses maintained natural" not English nor blazon isn't not.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address