[ANSTHRLD] Scribal Question

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 10:20:47 PDT 2003

--- Cynethryth of tewkesbury <cynethryth at hotmail.com> asked:

> If someone approaches you to commision a scroll for an award that was
> given to them already, do you have to take the scroll to the crown
> that granted the award for them to sign or can a someone just go
> ahead and scribe the crown's signature?

The Star Signet has the authority to sign for past Crown's signatures,
provided that proper verification of the award has been made first.  A
sheet is kept on file with Crown signatures/sigils on it for just this
purpose.  I don't know if it's been kept up-to-date, though.  We could
also dig around for a scroll signed during their reign, and copy it
from that.

If it's a recent Crown, say in the past 8 years or so, the person who
served as their Sable Scroll should be able to sign for them, too.

But I do note that some past Crowns who did their own signatures get a
kick out of getting to sign scrolls one more time.

Please remember that this only applies to charters/letters patent,
because those are signed by only the Crown.  Achievement documents are
signed by only the Star Principal Herald.  That's the way the
Ansteorran structure has been set up for many years now, and it's
modeled on English practice, because only the English consistently had
a separate heraldic authority.

The Crown grants the *right*, the heralds grant the *form*.

--Serena