[ANSTHRLD] Introduction and Conflict Check

Fulco of Scarborough fulco at fulco.net
Sat Mar 1 06:37:26 PST 2003

>     Sable, a fret gules and overall two swords in saltire proper.
>
> It's great artwork.

Thank you.

> It does have the color-on-color problem I mentioned the first time:
> a red charge cannot be placed on a black background.  It also has a
> problem with the swords being barely overall: 95% of the swords lie on
> the fret, which is not period style.  Each of those is cause for
> return.
>
> Since you need to redesign, let me step back a moment and ask what you
> really wanted in this design and what you'd be more willing to change
> or discard: black?  red?  white/silver?  fret?  swords?  two swords in
> particular?  diagonal lines?  Do you want anything particularly
> authentic for any particular culture or time?  Do you want to just
> start over?

I am not particular about the swords.  I do like the fret.  If it is
possible, I do want black, red, and silver to all be present in the end
design as I have those in my armor designs already.  I am looking for
something authentic English from roughly 1400-1500 time range (still pinning
down my persona) and preferably fairly simple to sew onto a tabard.  I am
very open to any suggestions beyond that.

> The tinctures per se are a decent idea (though not in this particular
> arrangement).  If you're going to have two different colors in the
> same armory, making one of the red is an excellent idea, because red
> has the best contrast with the other colors (as good as color/color
> contrast is going to be, at least).
>
> Daniel de Lincolia
> --
> Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.