[ANSTHRLD] picture of badge

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Mar 6 21:59:35 PST 2003

"Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg" <rygbee at montana.com> wrote:
>      One description I've heard used for fieldless badges and how
> much conjoining there needs to be with multiple elements is to think
> of it as being cast or punched out of metal as a one-piece unit.  I
> worry that the two "just barely touching" points won't be considered
> enough.  Would such a badge of metal hold together?

That is a rule-of-thumb sometimes stated, but I think you're making it
stronger (the badge and the notion) than they need to be.  What's
required is either for the items to touch, or for the area of overlap
on overall charges to be small.

>      Making the dragon a bit bigger could help mightily in that
> regard -- the bottom foot can be securely grasping the dovetail, the
> one wingtip could overlap a portion of the dovetail it's now
> touching, and you could even have a forepaw grasping a dovetail.

I think you're suggesting "barely overall", and that has been a
well-established cause for return for a number of years.  There'd be
no way to have a maintained charge if grasping were not allowed, but I
think the wingtip would be a problem, and possibly even too much
grasping.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address