[ANSTHRLD] Help conflict checking a badge

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:25:12 PST 2003

>Greetings unto the mighty Hearlds of the list:

You may leave offerings of chocolate as you depart
in silent respect :)

>I was looking to register a badge of:  Fieldless a pawn sable

No conflicts were found and only 5 pawns have been
registered.

There is a different problem.  No one can seem to agree
on what a period pawn looks like.  I think Elspeth
is way off base with this ruling.

"The Pictorial Dictionary of Heraldry states that the standard modern
depiction of chess pawns, as seen here, was not found in period. Therefore
this must be
redrawn using a period form of chess pawn." [Fionn Ua Néill, 01/00, R-An
Tir]

The entry for 106b in the Pic Dic states that King
and pawn weren't used in period as heraldic charges
but the forms shown in the Pic Dic date from 1482.
Te Staunton design I have on the coffee table is post
period.  I pointed this out recently in kingdom
commentary but I don't think anyone checked.

Care for a game of chess Daniel?

Magnus